Thursday, June 05, 2008

Foredom Bench Lathe


I ordered a Foredom bench lathe from Donna Kato's Prairiecraft.com polymer clay supply site, it arrived in two days! But there's only one imposing mountain range between where Donna lives and where I live, so the fast arrival wasn't a total surprise as UPS and Donna's husband Vern do a good job in getting things out fast.

I put on the muslin polishing wheel, plugged in the bench lathe and proceeded to put a wonderful shine on my polymer work. I have never been a fan of applying a clear coat of anything over my polymer, and with the ease of using this bench lathe, I can't imagine why anyone would want to. It's money well spent and polishing polymer is fun, mesmerizing and relaxing. I was pulling out all my previously-shined-with-denim beads and putting a new shine on them with the bench lathe.

The lathe is small, the footprint is 5" x 6", and it runs very quietly and coolly. I am very cautious about buying new machines and supplies, as I try not to clutter up my workspace with regrettable art supply purchases. For anyone serious about polymer, this bench lathe is a must-have. I highly recommend it. Also, the lathe is made in the USA. Foredom is a company established in 1922 in Connecticut.

No comments: