Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Heart Beads inspired by Donna Kato


I got Donna Kato's new book, The Art Of Polymer Clay Millefiori Techniques and have spent some time making heart beads inspired by her instruction. I decided on a tropical color scheme, which is a bit out of the norm for me but nevertheless I stuck with it and made several canes using these colors before applying them to the heart beads.

Every cane I made for these heart beads were in Donna's book. The canes I made were bullseye, ikat, component flower cane, klimt, and tile.

Donna's canes are simple, the key is to decide on a color scheme and create several different canes using your chosen colors so they all go together when you apply the thin slices to your project. The exception is the translucent and white bullseye cane. Translucent and white can compliment any color scheme.

The time spent making Donna's canes will springboard me into new directions and ideas. I also want to do more heart beads, it's a universal shape with a meaning that knows no language barriers.

2 comments:

Suzanne McDermott said...

Caren! How did I miss this blog all this time. These are marvelous creations. Beautifully done.

Caren said...

Thanks, Suzanne. This blog is a bit lonely, but I do get a few lookers. I probably should "advertise" it more via my painting blog.