Thursday, April 09, 2009

Pearl Ex Pigment Test Blobs

Before baking.
Dime sized test blobs using Fimo translucent and Pearl Ex pigment powders.


After baking.

I love my Pearl Ex pigments, but this is the first time I have taken the time to make test colors for reference. I mixed the powder with Fimo translucent. They really do come out special but you can see with these before and after baking photos, when mixing colors with translucent you need to bake to see the end results.

I put my test pieces on an index card, and wrote the Pearl Ex colors beside each piece. After baking, I painted the backside of each piece with white paint, so I could write the color names on the back. (I have not found a pen that will write on polymer. Have you? I've tried Sharpies, they rub off.)

5 comments:

JanGeisen said...

I have nominated you for a Sisterhood Award. It was given to me by someone who thought my blog was creative and inspirational. In return I got to nominate a minimum of 5 women whose blogs I find inspirational and encouraging. Keep up the good work.

You can see the post at my blog at www.jangeisen.blogspot.com. Now you get to share the award with other great bloggers. Here is how it works:

1. Put the sisterhood award logo on your blog or post (found on my blog).
2. Nominate at least 5 blogs which show great Attitude and/or Gratitude!
3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have received this award by commenting on their blog, or sending them an Etsy convo if they have a shop.

Caren said...

Jan, thanks so much! Certainly the purpose of my polymer blog is to share what I've learned in my polymer journey. I'm glad you found it of value. I will check into your blog and follow through with the Sisterhood rules.

Avril said...

Try using an overhead projecter pen. I have used this to write on the back of my clay swatchs and it has worked so far.

PolymerClayTutor said...

A nicely flowing gel pen will write on clay and will stay on if you pop it back into the oven to heat set.

Love the test blobs! Nice to see the differences when they are baked like that. Thanks for sharing! ~Cindy Lietz

Unknown said...

Prismacolor markers are permanent on polymer, as are gold leaf pens. Both may be a little smudge-y til they're completely dry, so I'll sometimes stick the piece back in the oven for about 10 minutes to "heat set" it.

Thanks for sharing your experiments!

- Angela M., CraftyGoat's Notes